I spent some time with Mass Effect Andromeda last night and it’s safe to say, Mass Effect Andromeda is an amazing entry in the series.
I played on my Xbox One last night for around 5 hours and couldn’t bring myself to put the controller down. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. I’ll be posting a full review later in the month but for now let’s talk about what Mass Effect Andromeda gets right and very wrong.
- Character creation is decent at best. You’ll be able to customize two characters, Scott and Sara Ryder. Your character must be human, but you can adjust their face to your liking. My character is a rugged pretty boy who’s eyes hide deep secrets. The hairstyles are a little out there and the beards are downright awful.
- The Paragon/Renegade morality system has been thrown out the window in favor of a more nuanced system. I have yet to see my actions effect anything yet but you now choose the tone of your responses, logical, emotional, professional, and casual. I’m more in favor of this new morality system.
- Sound effects are some of the best I’ve ever heard.
- The voice acting has some real highs and low and the animation is an abomination. I’ve seen GMOD porn with better animations. It’s not enough to ruin the game for me in way though.
- No quick save is a bummer. The checkpoint system is hard to rely on.
- The combat feels like a natural evolution of Mass Effect 3’s combat system. I can run and dash to my heart’s content as I maneuver myself close enough to the enemy so I can stab him with my sword thingy. The combat is really, really good.
- Mixing and Matching abilities is awesome. It doesn’t matter what specialization I pick.
- Bioware is really taking full advantage of Frostbite 3 engine. The worlds are gorgeous.
- Can’t tell if I like all the scanning or not yet. This feature remains to be seen. Horizon Zero Dawn did scanning so perfectly it’s hard to go back to this archaic way. You’re going want to scan everything to acquire Research Points which can be used to craft blueprints.
- Love the few side-quests I’ve tried. Can’t wait to see more. I’ve noticed main characters make mention of quests I’ve been on which is cool.
- Gender Neutral Bathrooms! Woo-hoo!
- Why can’t I check my map without going into the main menu?
- Gun customization!! Armour Customization! There’s so much customization. You can customize everything.
- Non-stop action. Getting thrown out of a ship right at the start is a real thrill.
- No, I haven’t played multiplayer yet so I can’t comment. I play Mass Effect for the story so I won’t be spending a lot of time online with friends.
Mass Effect Andromeda seems like a massive game and I can’t wait to dive back in. I’m very surprised this game has been getting such mixed reviews. From what I’ve played this is well worth a purchase come March 21, 2017.